Friday, January 18, 2013

today's class

I went to the 5:30 class last night and it wrecked me. Pushups, suicide runs, sprints, squats. By the end of class I was walking the suicide laps. I couldn't run another step. Not one more.

I got up this morning bound and determined to take today off because I was sore and tired. I put it out on Facebook and quickly was guilted into coming to class by the studio owner.

I dragged my sorry carcass to the studio praying I would be able to make it through class today.

When David proclaimed today all Kettlebells I almost wept with joy. A class I knew I could rock. Ending the week on a strong note.

Of course my stupid lower back had other plans.

I've struggled with lower back pain since forever. It's weak muscles but it feels like crunching broken glass in place of my lower spine.

I know I need to push through the pain and breathe into it and the only cure for it is to keep building up the muscles back there.

You will see me working with 4 different color Kettlebells & two different sizes. The blue bell is 27 lbs the pink is 17 lbs, the little black one is 25 lbs and the big yellow one is 32 lbs.

The blue bell is my comfort zone. It's the weight where I work best. Unfortunately when my back starts acting up I'm forced to the pink bell to do work that I could with no trouble do with the blue bell.

Super frustrating.

I grabbed the yellow bell at the very end and watching the video I'm mad at myself. I had no business attempting that one today. Not because I couldn't lift it, clearly I can. I however didn't have the power or strength to rack it in a proper manner on either side and that means my arms were too tired to be lifting it.

We were supposed to do 20 burpees but all I had in me was 12. You can see how exhausted a full 35 mins of Kettlebell work leaves me. I have not an ounce of energy to lift and support that tire over my head. Twice my arms had clearly had enough and you see the tire slide out of my grip and down my back. That does not happen because I've let go or because of any decision I made. That was my arms telling me "No Mas".
That to me is how a class should end every single time.
Nothing at all left in the tank.

Something this video has shown me that I need to work on is that I tend to throw my shoulders back too far and almost bend backwards in an effort to stand up straight. I need to be more aware of keeping my shoulders over my knees in good alignment.

I also still hate my swings. My body is just not the right shape or thin enough yet to hold the correct form for swings. It's frustrating and  I don't like it. It's the most basic of all Kettbell movements and it always feels very awkward to me.

Once again, you are under no obligation to watch any or all of this video. It's here more for me than for any of you.

Feel free to watch though...


No comments: