Monday, November 29, 2010

More Cardio

I'm aware that I'm in love with strength training and totally ignore and shove aside cardio training. I'm also aware that without cardio, I'm not going to take this weight off as fast as I might like.
The stairs will really help but I feel like I need to add more cardio overall to my routine.

The trouble is I'm lazy as hell by nature and because my cardio endurance is so low, my motivation to even get started is also low. (As in, I know I can't do much so why bother?)

I started this post early this morning, Pre-Boot Camp and I swear to GOD David was in my head because today was 90% cardio.

Jumping Jacks, Squats, Trunk Twists and my favorite ass kicker step ups onto a monster truck tire.  My legs are TOAST.

Half way through class I started to get lightheaded and found walking in a straight line was a difficult task. I drank some water and pushed on but I struggled today.

I'd promised myself I was going to do the stairs today however and come hell or high water I was going to do those damn stairs.
Here is one flight. Each flight has 10 steps and there are two flights between each floor with 6 floors. So someone wanna tell me why I only counted 93 steps to the top?

By the time I got to the top, my legs were screaming and I was huffing and puffing like a baby hippo.
Click the photo to enlarge. It's a great view from the top!
 
However, rather than be mad at myself for being so out of breath and near death at the top, I stopped and looked out the window and thought about what I'd done not 10 mins before in class.

I did  100 squats, 100 trunk twists with a 15 pound Kettlebell, stepped up onto that damn tire what felt like a million times, pushups and pullups on the rings and did overhead presses with a 25 pound kettlebell. At the end of class I did my 10 presses with the 40 pound Kettlebell and then did 20 swings with the 40 pounder.

In other words, I was exhausted before I started the stairs. I also reminded myself I have 13 weeks and there are no medals being handed out at the Monroe Center for who gets to the top the quickest.

Today I was able to do one round of 6 flights. Tomorrow I will attempt 2 rounds, Wednesday 3, Thursday 4 and Friday 5. By Friday I will be doing half of what I need to do for Rockefeller Center!!
Here is the info on the Rock Center Steps:
Course Description:
There are 1215 steps. The stair width is 66 inches and the length is 10 inches. Each story has two flights of stairs, separated by a landing. The length of a flight varies, but most are nine steps each.


Each day I have to push myself a little more and a little harder and remember what my goal is and what I'm working towards.
I can do this, I know that I can.

I just have to remember to be patient with myself and not always see what I can't do or haven't done but remember what I have done and what I can do and what I couldn't do a year ago.

No comments: