Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Stairs & thoughts

These are the stairs in my apartment. Each floor has 17 stairs. There are 5 floors. 17 X 5 = 85 steps

I live on the 1st floor so I rarely have occasion to use these steps. It turns out that they make a TON of noise when you go up and down them. They creak and groan and feel soft underfoot like they might give way under you at any second.
(As I'm typing this, I can hear one of my neighbors galloping down the stairs sounding like a massive Clydesdale. I know I'm an old mother of two little boys but WHY does this one doofus neighbor feel the need to jump down the last 5 steps landing with the force of a mortar round right next to my front door?!)

Since I decided not to go to Boot Camp today, I knew I had to do something else and so I did two rounds on my buildings stairs. 170 steps falls 30 shy of what I'd wanted to do today but we can't be picky.

I huffed and puffed and my legs are achy but I'm glad I got it done!

I'm realizing that part of working smarter not harder is listening to my body. As I've said before I'm notoriously lazy and I'm still, even after a dedicated year of Boot Camp, I'm still shocked that I end up at the 9am class after dropping the kiddos off at school.

When I decide to skip class, I always go through this angst internal dialog where I have to prove to myself that I'm not just being lazy and slacking off.

I also have to be careful that this new found bulldog in me doesn't push me to class when I'm really not up for it physically because once I'm there I'm there 100% and then some.

Yesterday is a perfect example - I didn't feel well and yet still pushed myself to not only finish class but go the extra mile and work with the 40 pound weight and then I pushed even harder to go and do the steps.

I'm afraid I should have listened to what my body was telling me because today I'm paying for it by having to sit class out.

I need to find that middle ground within myself that stops the lazy alarms from sounding but also doesn't work me till I'm sick or hurt.

Always a work in progress...

No comments: