Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kettlebell Training

126 days till the Certification Test.
Still get anxious butterflies when I think about it. I realize now that it's not because I'm afraid I'm lacking in strength or power. I'm afraid I'm lacking in form and knowledge.

I'm one of those gals who believes that if you are going to invest your time in something, you need to give it 100% and nothing less.

I'm a 38 year old stay at home mother of two little boys, a wife to a cranky but sweet husband and owner of a dog that the cranky but sweet husband will not take care of ever under any circumstances.(Humphrey is a 12 year old very sweet Basset Hound with Arthritis and a bad bladder)

For me to commit myself to an event like this one, one that is three entire full days requires calling in favors from friends & family to help me watch the dog & assist with child care.

I cannot just decide to take a weekend and grab my gym bag and trot out the door.
 Deciding to go for this certification involves many more people and schedules and time than my own.

What I'm saying here is that if I go into this with anything less than my best effort, I've wasted not only my time but that of friends and family. A completely unacceptable scenario.

Because of this, I've been immersing myself in videos and I've gone and gotten two basic Kettlebell books so I can start over at the very beginning and understand the how and the why of what I'm doing.

The class that I've been taking is not a kettlebell specific class and there is much that we have never worked on and moves I've never even tried that I want to learn and want to know.

The whole point of the certification is so that I can teach others to love the heavy iron balls with a handle as much as I do.  How can I teach what I'm not super confident on myself?

The RKC cert requires you to teach a student before they will pass you. That to me is more frightening than anything they can ask me to do with a kettlebell.

When I read that I realized that I might appear to know how to do a swing but I've really got zero clue if my posture is right, if my feet placement is correct, if my hips are moving the proper way.  It's truly never been taught to me. I couldn't at this stage teach it to anyone else with any confidence.

So I need to get some one on one time with my coach and really go back to the basics and work from the ground up. In the mean time, I'm watching and reading and learning as much as I can.

How badly do you want it?

No comments: