Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ahead

So apparently I'm going to be able to do this 5k in my sleep. All you need to do is be able to keep a 16 minute mile to not get scooped up by the "pacers" who will be right behind the last wave of folks.

Considering that I walk a 20 minute mile without really rushing, I'm feeling a little bit more confident about this whole thing. That plus in all the videos I've watched of the event so many folks are walking.

NOT that I'm planning on walking but it's comforting to know that this event isn't just for serious "leave Diana in the dust" runners.

I'm still going to train to run the whole course and will continue to visualize myself running the whole thing. Knowing it's a full 5k but it's not timed or as serious as some other races makes me think that this is really and truly the perfect race for me to be involved in so I can check "running a 5k" off my bucket list.

We are actually heading down to Disney in a month and I'll be looking at EPCOT with this course in mind and with this course in mind I'm going to plan on doing some running along the jogging trails they have there.

Epcot Area Resorts
Your hosts at WDW have identified 4 running courses in this area, which are identified on the map. The first path covers 7/8 mile and runs along the Boardwalk Canal. Very little shading makes this one of those courses which should be reserved for cooler times of the day. This course is most easily accessed from the Dolphin and Swan, as well as the Boardwalk Resort.

Course #2 is essentially a large loop around the Yacht Club and Beach Club Resorts, while following Epcot Resorts Boulevard. It covers 1.3 miles and is fairly easy to reach from any of the resorts. The map also identifies a 1/4 mile section of course from the Dolphin and Swan hotels that can be added on to either of these courses.

Course #3 is roughly 0.8 mile and travels around Crescent Lake. This is the most central course to the area, and can be reached easily from all of the resorts. This course in particular gives the runner a chance to sample the varying "flavor" of each resort as you pass through it. These first three courses cover wide wooden walkways as well as paved paths with excellent visibility.
Throughout this area, you can catch glimpses of Epcot, including Spaceship Earth and the Eiffel Tower. In addition, distance can be added to these courses by following the walkways to Epcot and to MGM Studios.

Course #4 is the longest course, following along Epcot Resorts Boulevard and part of Buena Vista Drive. The scenery is largely devoid of water views, which is a change from the other courses in the resorts. The winding sidewalk and rolling terrain for parts of this course require the runner to use caution. There is very little room on the grass beside the sidewalk in places, so it is not always easy to avoid pedestrian traffic. It is only partially shaded, and therefore not a good choice for the hotter parts of the day.

I have never worked out while at Disney. I've always said I will, and have wanted to but the gym has all these machines I'll never know how to use and besides, I'm walking about 13 miles each day!

This trip though, this one is special and different. I have a goal and I'm seriously motivated to make it happen. I keep telling myself

"The Diana of the future will thank the Diana of today"

I have a goal here (as I've stated before) and when I have one of those I'm usually really good about keeping on task with the training for whatever the goal might be. This goal requires me to run and so run I shall.

I REALLY want to get started with my running but this week is not cooperating with me and it's going to be a total wash. (Kids are home till Monday for NJ Teacher Conferences) The only running I'll get is what we do on the loading dock at Boot Camp.

Granted that today he had us run three laps at the end of class and were it not for a fellow boot camper urging me on I would have punked out on them but running the loading dock is different than going around the block for a jog. (or at least that's what I'm telling myself)

I compensated by pushing extra hard in class today and will do the same again tomorrow. 

No comments: