Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Choices

Today somehow the kids roped me into taking them to Johnny Rocket's for a snack after school.
We ordered and I did not make the best food choices.

I got what I always get there. Cheeseburger and Onion Rings, a Diet Coke and an Ice Cream Hot Fudge Sundae to wash it all down.

When we were finished and the bill had been paid, the severity of what I'd just eaten slapped me in the face and I think I actually blushed. I was embarrassed by the amount of fat and calories I'd just sucked down without even thinking about it.

My shame turned to frustration when I realized that I'd just undone a stellar day at Boot Camp. One of my strongest yet.

I started to blame the kids for "making" me go there in the first place. Grousing about how I would never go there on my own.

I wondered what my diet would be like if I were single. I can assure you it would NOT contain things like Johnny Rockets or McDonald's or Pizza. I think I could go the rest of my life without eating these things ever again.

With kids though, this is damn near impossible I told myself. How can I avoid them? The kids love them so much. We don't go often (well, except for pizza) but we DO go and if I had no children, I wouldn't ever go.

I realized that I need to eat or change my diet to pretend I don't have children.
Sure, I can't avoid these places but that doesn't mean I have to eat the food.  Why couldn't I go into Johnny Rockets today and just get a Diet Coke? Why did I have to eat as well?
The answer is: I didn't.

Next time, I won't. The next time the kids want pizza for dinner or McDonald's or Johnny Rockets or any of the other super unhealthy places or foods that they love so damn much, I can make a better choice and NOT eat with them.

It's got to be about planning ahead and having something protein filled and healthy to eat before I pick the kids up from school so I'm not hungry when we go to these places.
Having something yummy on hand to eat for dinner when they order pizza.

If I'm going to win this battle against the fat, I'm going to have to make better food choices. It's as simple as that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wish my kid never found out what "the big M" is. Now he only wants chicken nugggets, all day long. Every day I am trying to figure out how to get hime to eat anything other than crackers, yogurt, pancakes and nuggets. At least he sometimes consents to Trader Joe's chickenless nuggets.