Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A frustrating observation

Today the last 10 minutes of class were all cardio. I've discussed how I hate cardio because I struggle with it so. I know it's what's going to burn the fat and get my heart into shape and I know it needs to go hand in hand with the strength training but it ALWAYS kicks my ass and NEVER EVER gets easier.

I have the power and strength to work with the Kettlebells all day long. I can do step ups onto the tire till I'm blue in the face. I can work with the TRX and the rings to the point of complete exhaustion but when it comes to any sort of leaping or hopping or explosive power move I do not have the strength. Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Mountain Climbers, Star Jumps, even skipping kills me.

Anything that requires pushing off and launching my body off the ground I struggle with in a way that frustrates me. It's not a muscle thing, it's more of a feeling, a lack of energy. It's like my body becomes a million pounds and I cannot gather the energy to push off and kick out in a Burpee or jump for a jumping jack.

I really want to be able to do a box jump. It's a simple move that I should at this point be able to do and yet when I try to propel my body off the ground onto a short step aerobic turquoise step I wind up smacking my shins and falling over because I can't clear the damn box.

Same with the Burpees.At this point I should be able to kick my legs out and pop up into a leap but I can't. Today I did get my legs to kick out but then I struggled to right myself to a standing position and forget about the leap. I looked and felt ridiculous.

This lack of energy or ability is the one thing that makes me CRAZY about my body. My brain wants to do it but my legs don't want to cooperate. My body simply lacks the energy to get these basic, simple exercises done.

I'm not sure what I can do to correct this issue or make it better beyond practice and not giving up.  I just felt really frustrated and self conscious in class today. Not my best day...Tomorrow will be better!

No comments: